In the 1970's Quartz watches almost ground the tradiotional mechanical watch into oblivion, on the other hand Quartz watches lifted mechanical watches from the edge of extintion with the introduction of the hugelyu popular Swatch watch. The Swatch Watch poured enormous wealth into the Swiss Watch Market allowing the older traditional companies like Audemars Piguet and Vacheron Constantin to regain momentum.
There are definite advantages to owning a Quartz Watch:
- Quartz Watches are battery operated and thus need no winding.
- Quartz Watches allow for increased functionality based on modern technology such as theTissot SEA-Touch, with incredible cutting edge patented technology which allow divers the knowledge of time in two time zones, the depth of the current dive, digital chronograph, thermometer, alarm, perpetual calender date, compass and divers logbook. All activated by a light touch on the crystal. Even in the dark depths of deep sea diving, divers are still able to consult their Tissot SEA-Touch by extremely luminescent material as well as a strong back light.
A Mechanical Watch is powered by winding - read this link for full details.
- Mechanical Watches are entrenched in the longstanding tradition of watchmaking, spanning 400 years.
- Mechanical watches are self sufficient; once assembled they never require any additional component. A watch, in good condition, crafted 200 years ago can still run like new. In essence a mechanical watch is timeless, unmarked by the passage of time.
- Mechanical watches is truly "green" never depleting earth's energy resources.
- Expert watch designers and watch makers plan every new model
- There is an obvious distinction between a replica mechanical watch and a 100% genuine mechanical watch. Replica's have shoddy craftsmanship made from inferior quality metals, and semi precious stones.
- Complicated Mechanical Watches have complications such as a perpetual calender, tourbillon, chronograph, minute repeaters and more. Each complication requires many small specialized components which fit together to perform a function in perfect harmony.
- Finally, fine mechanical watches, like diamond rings, are heirlooms meant to be passed on from generation to generation. A mechanical watch is your messenger into the future.
These are only a few points in regard to quartz and mechanical watches. I would love to hear feedback. Please comment and add a point or two.